Sunday, August 24, 2008

Can't Stop the Beat

I was working a tasting this weekend, and lo and behold, I find the new vintage of white wine from Gascony that I'd just reviewed earlier this month. While I couldn't go back and taste them side by side, it's worth checking out if the '07 carries some freshness that the '06 now lacks.

And it did. But ultimately that did not move the wine in a way toward astounding balance. What I did get was this: Clarified mineral, lemon peel, an herbaceous tendency and good acid. Overall, this wasn't a surprise. Freshness is the way to go. And it's dry and easy, making a good wine for shellfish.

This wine needs a song that's got some zip. Something catchy and fun, but probably a bit too dragging in it's simplicity (but only a touch, insofar as to not impede it's exuberance).

Domaine de Pellehaut "Harmonie de Gascogne", 2007: 8.0
Pairs with "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior.

In the next few days, I'll have a couple of sweet announcements for tasting events (oh yeah!) and a review of a dozen or so exceptional wines I tasted from around the world.

No comments: