Friday, August 8, 2008

Blasphemy of Gascony?

From the rough-and-tumble lands of musketeers, you'll sometimes see some pretty thirst-quenching white wines, oft fruit-neutral and vibrant. And sometimes you'll be privy to some which exude citrus with a little zing. But there can be a problem. Quite often, you won't be able to tell what grapes are exactly in a bottle that reads Cotes de Gascogne.


Well, the major players are Ugni Blanc (a.k.a. Trebbiano) and Colombard. But...you have grapes like Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Gros Manseng kickin' around as well. This lack of identity doesn't mean much to most people, and really it shouldn't. Don't worry too much about the makeup; just get the most recent vintage possible.


I dig the Cotes de Gascogne. I've had some good cheap wines from here, and I'll always recommend them. But tonight's drink of choice has a slight touch of age (2006) and it already shows, albeit just a touch. For $7, I can't be picky. It's still thoroughly enjoyable as a quaffer (I've downed a full glass while writing the first 3 paragraphs of this post).


Domaine de Pellehaut is responsible for the wine tonight. And it does a decent job. I've got no A/C, so I need a crisp and fun white wine. All of my reds are staying downstairs in my typically-Michigan basement for the next few weeks, that's for damn sure. And yes, it's crisp. It's fun. There's a bit of golden apple, green melon and seaweed on the nose and palate, with establishing a presence void of rank sulfur or grapey, whiny "look at me" poses.


If you can find this (or any) wines from Cotes de Gascogne for under $8 that are less than 2 years old, I'd pounce on them. Just be okay with the fact that there's no way to really tell what the exact grape makeup is in the wine.


So what tune goes well with such a dependable but fleeting guzzler? WELL...let's narrow this down: Best while young. Still pretty solid. Good for a quick fix of simplicity.


Yep...got it.


Domaine de Pellehaut "Harmonie de Gascogne" Vin de Pays des Cotes de Gascogne, 2006: 7.6
Pairs with "Surrender" by Cheap Trick.

No comments: