Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wine Makes Me Love Everything, part 2.

I left you so suddenly last week, having only written about 3 wines that recently passed through my lips.

Well, I've got some more for you. God, I wish I could've taken these home. A few were merely solid deals. Some were absolute classics.

Here we go...

Marcel Deiss Pinot Blanc, Burgheim, Alsace, France, 2005: 8.2
Alsace is that tiny region in northeastern France, that along with Lorraine (as in the cheese) were involved in a not-so-lovely literal game of tug-of-war. Once part of Germany, now France, the culture is truly somewhere in between (or some might say realistically not truly part of either).

I noticed a pretty cashew/almond nose to the wine, leading into a nutty, mineral-rich wine. This was a fruit-neutral wine, with a mere touch of sweetness. There is no domination here, rather a kind of velvety expression. Definitely a good sushi wine. ($25-30)

Pairs with "Joga" by Bjork.

Schiopetto Pinot Bianco, Collio Goriziano, Friuli, Italy, 2004: 8.8
I love Northern Italy. This clinches it. There is so much diversity in that section of the world. From joyful juiciness, to legendary elegance. Simple wines here even have a way of feeling unique and exciting.

What a friggin' oddball, in comparison to what we usually know about wine. This was another seemingly "neutral" wine up front. But as I swirled it a wee bit, I found this pleasant orange-zest developing within the minerality.

And the body kept a touch of that characteristic, only to take a left-turn into something beautifully unusual: Dramatic oily texture, orange, pear, herbes de Provence, apple. You can't go wrong. ($38-50)

Pairs with "I'm on Fire" by Bruce Springsteen.

Delta Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, 2007: 8.3
I think I've had about 30 New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs in the past year. I'm not kidding. I get kind of sick of it after awhile. But I have to be fair, and realize that's just my preference not to drink a ton of New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs after about August.

Yep...the usual grapefruit/gooseberry vibe in here. And really, it's quite nice. I think it's almost a dead-ringer for Oyster Bay's recent Sauvignon Blanc release, except the way the mid-palate fruit shows is certainly more elegant in Delta's current release. ($18-25)

Pairs with "Sec Walkin" by My Morning Jacket.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good story

GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

“Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

What is accutane and eating disorders or detroit accutane attorney and accutane attorney illinois?
You can Buy Accutane Online in canada and usa cheap now.
A accutane and skin care.

Anonymous said...

Adult сервис [url=http://aftertube.net.ua/tags/%E4%F0%FE%F7%E8%F2%F1%FF/]дрючится[/url] Посмотри про то как [url=http://aftertube.net.ua/tags/Maserati/]Maserati[/url]
только 18+!

Anonymous said...

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness for your post is just spectacular and that
i could think you're a professional in this subject. Fine together with your permission allow me to snatch your feed to keep updated with approaching post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

Also visit my homepage ... book of ra apk android